Recent_Comments

Saturday, April 23, 2011

And the Winner Is......

I lost to a collard chip.

Its true, I placed 2nd in the competition, second to a collard chip. I went to win. I'm competitive about strange things, that I will admit. To be satisfied with second is to accept that the scenery never changes, if you catch my drift. My strawberries stuffed with blackout mousse made with Key West grown organic avocados lost to a collard chip. My raw vegan organic key lime pie mini-tartlets lost to a collard chip. My raw vegan organic death by chocolate brownie truffles lost to a collard chip. I had local ingredients in everything, almost entire organic, and plenty of fair trade ingredients representing. The key lime filling recipe was authored completely by Yours Truly. Do you feel my pain?

Days and nights testing recipes. Practicing. Not to mention almost selling my soul for some local key limes. All to lose to a collard chip. What can I say, kudos to the winner, no sour (organic) grapes here. It was a lot of fun, I had a great time at the actual event. I met some new people, and some of my friends came out to support me. I saw some people that I haven't seen in far too long as well. I ate. I drank too many bubbly cocktails along the way.

During the event, while eating, drinking and laughing with friends, I took a moment to scan the scene. There we were in Key West, outside on a Friday evening. Flip flops were the requisite footwear, anything goes island garb was the dress code. The sky was blue, there was a little breeze to keep things comfortable. The African drummers were outside sitting next to some tropical shrubbery, the food was lined up under tents all along the side of the lounge, and there was an outside bar. Passers-by (locals & visitors alike) had their interest peaked, and many actually stopped to listen to the music, and buy a "tasting plate" so they could judge the food. A few of the Club gals came by (my apologies, were you 801 gals? Aqua-nettes?), decked out gorgeous as always. I'm telling you it was an honest to goodness "only in the Keys" snapshot in time.

Speaking of snapshots, I did not take one single photo. Zip, zilch, zero, nada. I had the camera in the car, and we managed to snag probably the best parking space of the night, yet I just couldn't muster the strength to put down my cocktail & food to pick up the camera. Mistake? Perhaps. Regret? Nope.

After the judging, we headed over to LaTrattoria for another fine meal. Of course, my kitchen still looks like "who did it and ran," but I'm chipping away little by little today on that. Not too much though, I've decided to kick back a bit today. I've already had my first nap, a little lunch and I'm planning my run for the day. Tonight we're going to meet friends at the No Name Pub, where I intend to eat unhealthy (still vegan, of course!) food, and have a couple drinks. I've earned it, I really have.

So, there it is. I didn't come home with a blue ribbon, or any ribbon for that matter. I did get some fantastic prizes (completely, totally unexpected, so even better), and felt quite validated by the comments my food received. But, second place isn't good enough for me, and if there's ever a next time, I'm taking no prisoners, so competitors beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment