Recent_Comments

Saturday, April 9, 2011

7 Mile Bridge Run

Ah, a new day has dawned here in the Florida Keys. We shut the ac off yesterday, and are letting the breezes flow through once again. As I got out of bed, light was just barely beginning to filter through my windows, and the curtains were rustling softly. As I went to collect my paper at the gate, I saw an osprey sitting on the pole just across the street from me. He looked at me, but wasn't disturbed. It seems to have cooled a bit from the temps of the last couple weeks, and 1500 people are going to be thankful for that today.


This morning is the 30th annual 7 Mile Bridge Run. If you've been to the Keys, mostly likely you've been over that 7 mile bridge. Once every April, the bridge is closed for a few hours early in the morning so 1500 people can run over it. Competing for time. Competing against themselves. Some just for fun, not competing at all, rather looking for what I'll call bragging rights to say "I did it!" This run does benefit multiple charities as well, a list of which is published in the paper. That's a nice "extra."


I don't know any other races that have the runners going over open water for 7 miles. The bridge does have a hill on it, I've been told that's not the worst of it, rather the decline is the worst because you anticipated that hill so much, that's your main focus. I'm not too sure of that analysis, but then again I've never done the race. Nor do I have any plans to. That's not on my personal bucket list.


To be in the race, you have to submit an application via snail mail. Apps were available for download on a Tuesday, by that same Thursday, the race was full. That many people wanted to be in the race that badly that they sent the stuff in overnight mail. And, there were hundreds more applications received that were not considered because the race filled up that fast. Good for them say I, but not for me. Bridges and water? No... I don't really need to add that to my "to do" list, you know I'm just not a fan of bridges. Besides this is the same bridge I rescued that royal tern on a few months ago. I am all too aware of the movement of the bridge, and the view for that matter. I don't need to run over it.


The bridge closes in both directions 6:45 in the morning. The race starts at 7:30. The bridge re-opens at 9am to traffic. If you're a runner and haven't finished the course, too bad, so sad, you get picked up by "the bus." That's the talk down here, "beating the bus." I say there's no shame in getting picked up by the bus, but not everyone feels that way. " Well, if I was in the race, I'd say don't run with me because I'd be counting on that bus ride back to the other side.


As I write this, the run is in full swing. I know 2 people in the race this year, maybe more are running that I just didn't get a chance to talk to. I like to see the photos in the paper the next day, a sea of humanity crossing the bridge, the aerial shots are especially striking and colorful. Its just another one of those quirky and unique things here in the Keys that makes it so special. I'm glad we have a 7 mile bridge run, people from around the country, and a few other countries too, are in it. For me, I just sit back and enjoy the fact that for those few hours I'm even more cut off from the rest of the world. Works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment