Recent_Comments

Friday, March 18, 2011

They Shoot Innkeepers, Don't They? Part 1

Are you enjoying the new view on the cam? Its a sunset view. Yeah, yeah, we're getting the pan/zoom, but these things do take time. We had the cam on sunrise viewing, but the Earth does rotate, so we've now lost the best sunrise viewing cam-wise. Mr. Happy Vegan decided to move the cam to capture the sunsets, this time of year it will capture better sunsets than sunrises (not true for actual in-person viewing here though). There's a story behind the cam moving, which unless I dropped a fresh baked loaf of bread (which I needed for the next morning's french toast breakfast) into my cleaning bucket tonight, I never would have known. Allow me to explain.

Another postcard perfect day on Big Pine Key. Not a cloud in the sky, not even a puffy one. Blue skies everywhere. Sunshine streaming down. Birds soaring. Boats dotting the horizon, kayakers out padding the ocean, and Peri patrolling the beach. Me? Inside, baking and cooking for an extended session. I had a couple new recipes to try today, extra baking to do for some side jobs, and of course endless cleaning. In addition to all this, I have the annoying "extra" of back pain. I was doing literally nothing, except walking and breathing, recently when I felt a searing stabbing pain in my iliosacral joint (I'm a massage therapist, so I'll use the proper term here instead of "low back pain" whoop-te-do). I find its better if I keep moving. When I stop to work on the computer, drive or sleep, things go from bad to worse. So, I'm moving. A lot. Before I realized it, I was 30 minutes away from driving to boot camp class. I worked all day, finished all my chores, all my prep for tomorrow, almost every single thing on my "to do" list was accomplished, including baking that bread for tomorrow's french toast. All I had left was wash the floor. That, and re-write the list from "to do" to "to do," "un do" and "re do." Sigh.

My bucket of clean water was prepped with soap, white vinegar and essential oils. It sat on the floor, waiting for me with warm, soapy love. At 5pm, I slid the bread out of the oven onto my counter. I pulled out a cooling rack, and slid the loaves onto the wires. As I turned around, still with the potholder in my hand, I grabbed the large baking tray to move aside. It caught the foot of the wire cooling rack. The just baked (very hot) loaves began to slide off the rack. I dropped the large (and still very hot) tray, hoping to catch the (still very hot) bread. I caught one, but the other slid directly into the bucket of soapy love with a "sploik." Just like that, my evening was shot.

Mr. Happy Vegan heard my exclamations, and came running to investigate. What he saw was me fishing a large loaf of bread out of a soapy bucket, cursing. I was tossing the hot bread back and forth from hand to hand. It was burning me. "Wash it off!" "Wash it off!" he shouted. Yeah, right. You know what? I did exactly that. I don't know why I did it, mostly I guess because he just kept saying "wash it off" "wash it off" over and over. My beautiful loaf of bread was now a minty smelling flour sponge. There was NO humor involved in this experience. None. I went from being ahead of schedule, minutes away from boot camp, to being hours behind. I was convinced things like this only happen to me. Mr. Happy Vegan wanted to know what happened. I guess the soapy, dripping loaf was not obvious enough. Being that I was NOT a happy vegan at that moment, I shot back some sarcastic remarks, to which he wisely left me alone with my misery.

So, what does all this have to do with our cam? Read on.

A few minutes later, he returned. Doing his best to keep from laughing, but failing. It was a little contagious, I admit. I began to snicker. Then I whined about how the "to do" "un do" "re do" experiences seem to only happen to me, and I was pretty darn sick of it. He began to laugh harder. He then made a confession, and told a story. He promised me that things like the bread incident are not limited to only me. Here is the story he told.

To be continued, tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment