Recent_Comments

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Taking My Own Advice

I'm no different than anybody else. I'm not going to sit here and say how special I am like some celebrities are spouting in media rants. No, I'm the same in that I'm human, subject to the same pitfalls and traps we all can fall into. I'm one of "those people" who likes to save special things for special occasions. Special china & crystal for holidays. Special clothes for special events. Special food for special recipes. I've worked hard over the last couple years to change that philosophy and not "save" things, instead celebrating the specialness of today. But, of course I succumb to the old habits from time to time. This was the case with some special food I bought.

A pet peeve of mine is wasting food. With so many people starving in the world, its very hard for me to accept wasted food as part of life. Food is not meant to end up in landfills. As a last resort, we can compost to avoid the landfill too. Over the Christmas holidays, many companies come out with special food & drinks for the season. I bought something special like that and stashed it in my fridge. I looked at it every day, happy it was in there, waiting for a special moment to enjoy it. Today I went for it. Immediately I saw the date stamp had expired. I opened the container, and was crestfallen to see it had spoiled. I wait all year for this special food. I saved it for something special. Why did I want it today, I'm not sure. There is nothing inherently special about today, I was just feeling happy and wanted to enjoy that food. I wasted it.

I read a story a long time ago, probably in an Ann Lander's column, or the equivalent thereof. The story was about a woman who received a very special article of clothing as a gift. She loved it and cherished it. She kept it wrapped in tissue paper in a box in her dresser. She'd take it out from time to time to admire it, waiting for just the right occasion to wear it. Much time passed, and the woman died. As her children were going through her clothing, they came upon the treasured blouse. They buried their mother in that special blouse. Whether this story is true or not doesn't really matter, although I believe it's all too true, and all too common.

So, here I sit feeling pretty badly about wasting food when there's such hardship in the world, as well as feeling badly because I wait all year for this item and now I won't get to enjoy it either. Its a small thing, but a big reminder. I write a lot about "Carpe Diem" but I too am only human, and can fail to seize the day, live in this moment, and make the most out of life's every moment. Every moment is special. It's also the only guaranteed moment we have.

Maybe you've been saving something special too. If so, won't you consider pulling it out of the closet, out of the pantry, or out of wherever you keep it safe & protected. Enjoy it. Use it. Wear it. Drive it. Whatever "it" is, today is special enough for "it" to be used and appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment