Recent_Comments

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Very Peri Interlude

Its been a while since Peri made an appearance on the blog. Here he is coming in from ocean, crossing our flats at low tide. He's a mainstay at Deer Run, I simply have no recollection of life before Peri. I was walking on the beach today taking inventory of palm trees, sunshine and blue water when I happened to notice a sleeping grey blob in the sea oats. All stretched out, eyes slammed shut, basking. Body half obscured by those sea oats, the other half out for the world to see.

Peri is a character, but he remains very mysterious. He still has a very secret life, and a lot of enablers to help him along with that secret life. He has us perfectly trained as to when he wants his (organic!) snacks, his ears rubbed, or anything else he may desire. Some mornings he simply does not show up for his breakfast snacks. Is that because he's already eaten 3 other breakfasts at his real home and other appointed stops? I have my suspicions about that, but he's not giving up any information.

When Peri doesn't show up at an expected time, I feel a little lost. I do not like him to deviate from rounds. Often when I call for him, he will come, but other times, there's no rousting him from his secret duties. The other day, I was walking down the beach. Very often Peri will join me. This time he was nowhere to be found. I called & called. Nothing. I walked for a while, maybe a mile, then began my turnaround.... as I did so guess who I saw trotting down the beach at me. Yes, Peri appeared out of thin air. I waited for him, then picked him up, gave him a quick kiss and put him back down on the sand. We began walking. As cats often do, Peri suddenly bolted ahead for seemingly no reason. He began playing at something invisible to me. Then he looked around to see if anyone was watching, and re-bolted this time climbing up a palm tree so fast I couldn't believe my own eyes. I eventually caught up to him as he sauntered down the tree trunk. He accompanied me home as if none of that ever happened.

Peri doesn't worry about his career, paying bills, what people say about him, or anything else. I think he must have been very good in a past life to come back in his present form and end up with the protectors in his life that he has, living in paradise on Big Pine Key. He is adored by virtually all who cross his path and his needs are well taken care of. Animals live on the same planet we do, but they experience a very different world, often filled with physical pain, emotional pain, abuse, callousness, torture, indifference, disrespect, and other horrible things. Here, Peri has a bubble where people actually listen to him and care about him. He's "only" one animal, but its a start for justice in the world. More than anything, I think Peri is a very good teacher.

We've moved the cam so Peri's passings to and fro around the fire pit can no longer be seen; we're adding a pan/zoom feature soon, so do not despair. You'll get your Peri fix, but when HE'S good and ready. Of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment