Recent_Comments

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Can You Dig It?

Whoomp there it is!

February 1st is the "it" I mean.

Today is called Imbolc by pagans. I like the reference, it's basically a celebration half way between Winter Solstice and Spring Equinox. Half way to spring. Ahh....

But, we're not quite there yet, are we? No.

My heart does go out to everyone who is bracing for yet another severe winter storm. I suppose you don't need my sympathy if you're one who relishes the snow and cold. If that's you, my empathy is not sent out in your direction. Rather, I'm feeling for those souls stuck in the cold, wishing they were in the warm. I hear ya. Believe me.

It seems almost impossible, but it was pushing 80 here today. The sky was so blue, I actually photographed it with my cell phone while I was running. Being that its allegedly winter, I went out there without sunscreen. Bad move. I came home from my on-street workout with a sunburn. My runner's tan has been fading, but in one fell swoop, poof its back. Bliss.

Tomorrow our forecast is amazing, gonna push past 80. I have 3 workouts planned tomorrow, 2 of them outside. I'm so looking forward to it. I admit I slack when the temps cool off, its just too much when north winds blow off the Bight, and I'm getting smacked here and there by our "when good winters go bad" Keys-style. Oh, this is especially hilarious when I consider my past life up north. I was a Spin instructor. I distinctly remember one February morning in particular, having a 6am class to teach. Oh yeah, talk about misery. The alarm went off at 5am. I dressed for the gym then dragged myself down 3 flights of stairs in utter darkness to my frozen over car jammed in a snowbank. When I turned the key, my car informed me the outside temperature was 7 degrees Fahrenheit. I can close my eyes and still see that scene...the green glow of the dash reading that oh-so-wrong number 7.

So, try as I may, its very difficult to control my glee about our particularly warm, sunny patch of weather here in the beautiful Florida Keys. Yup, I'm giddy alright, and I'm taking it for all its worth as long as it lasts. Whoomp, there it is. Oh yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment