Recent_Comments

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Through the Eyes of a Visitor

This is a big weekend here in the Keys. There's several great bands having concerts up and down the Keys, music festivals, fundraisers, the Key West Food & Wine Festival, art & craft shows, and more. I made full use of my day yesterday, deciding early I was going to 26th Annual Key West Art & Craft Show.

When I woke up, it was quiet and still. The winds had finally abated, and it was already warm. Walking out my back door, I saw a very large sailboat which had anchored for the overnight close to my beach. It was such a beautiful sight, the sun coming up, the sailboat sitting peacefully as the water started to glimmer. I decided I was going to take the day as easy as possible, I could tell it was going to be an almost perfect day.

After I had most of my chores done, I put the top down on the convertible, and filled the cd player with all my favorites. I stopped at Pop's for a visit, making sure he had everything he needed for the day, then began my drive down the Keys. Traffic was pretty heavy, but moving. The sun was high in the sky, and warmed me completely (making me regret forgetting the sunblock). I was listening to music, driving my convertible, and going to Key West. I was going to be a tourist, and was pretty happy about that.

In my opinion, the most beautiful part of any drive down the Keys is from the 7 Mile Bridge all the way through the Lower Keys. There's not as much development, and places too numerous to count that have unblemished open water. Its unlike anything I've ever seen. As I got closer to Key West, I couldn't help but notice the naval jets in training over my head. I shut off the music, and just listened to their roar. They looked like they were doing circles, practicing landings perhaps.

I noticed quite a few other convertibles with tops down as I drove. A large majority of them had people holding cameras and camcorders out the sides. I don't blame them, in a past life I probably did the same thing (although never while driving). Just before Key West, some of our wonderful and brave local fire/rescue personnel were holding a boot drive. I've heard some people grumble about these "boot drives," but if they didn't need this money, they wouldn't be out there, would they? So, I made sure to roll up slowly to each boot and toss some bills in every time, with a huge "THANK YOU" to them all. Imagine, they actually thanked ME for the money... if I had time I would've gotten out at each stop and kissed their feet, no need to thank me for putting money in there, those folks are heroes. Anyway, back to my trip.

I picked my way through the streets of Key West s-l-o-w-l-y. The traffic was exceptionally heavy, both motorized and pedestrian. Funny thing though, no horns were beeping, no rude gestures being made. Most everyone else seemed to feel as I did... happy to be alive, happy to be in warm sunshine in January, happy to be on an island. I made my way to the show, paid for parking and had a nice chat with the attendant. Never in days past would I imagine any parking attendant would care to chat with me for more than 5 seconds to collect my money, but in the Keys I was able to exchange more than mere pleasantries. Nice! I parked, then walked through the crowds. This particular show is another favorite of mine. I don't think I've missed it since moving here. Once again, it did not disappoint. I saw some great art and craftsmanship, and was able to meet and talk with wonderful artists. I'm such an admirer of people who create, I find them typically be very imaginative, and fun to be around. I came away with some new pieces for the inn, and some great outdoor art too. I even scored a pair of glass turtle earrings from a woman who's work I absolutely love. Her pieces are whimsical, dreamy, and exceptionally unique. Besides, how could I possibly go wrong with a pair of turtle earrings?

After the show, I decided I wanted lunch, so I once again picked my way through the streets of Key West, making my way to "The Cafe, a Mostly Vegetarian Restaurant." Now, I've written about them before, and will write about them again. Some people find eating alone in a restaurant unsettling. I do not. I was greeted kindly, and seated immediately. I wanted to sit by a window so I could watch the action on the street. I ordered my food (seitan peppersteak!!) and listened to the music, staring at the folks on the street. A wide slice of humanity, that's for sure. I saw scooters, trucks, runners, tourist trains, cars, taxis, pedi-cabs and bicyclists. I saw people delivering pizza, and a gal on a bicycle with 2 very large animal carriers attached transporting 2 small dogs. I could tell the locals, their bikes are almost always jazzed up with flair. They'll have stickers, whimsical paint jobs, sparklers, signs, and stuff like that all over the bike.

After lunch, I walked up and down the streets for a while, just looking around. In windows. At architecture. At people. At animals. At motorcycles. At menus. You get the idea. I saw lots of people with cameras in their hands, and heard many other languages being spoken. The sun continued to press down on me all day. I stopped here and there for some refreshments, and more intense people watching. Surrounded by locals and visitors, feeling a little like a bit of each.

I would eventually make my way back to the car, and begin the trek home. The sun continued to warm me, music as my constant companion. I noticed the birds flying in the sky, boats dotting the landscape the entire drive home, plus lots more convertibles, cameras and camcorders.

Returning home, I decided to sit on the beach, commune with nature, and watch the sun go down. Key deer meandered by, Peri warmed my lap, and I was enveloped by the arms of the Universe. My day was completed with stargazing and contemplation.

Some days I get so busy this time of year, I forget what its really like to be here, why people are drawn to the Keys. Eyes wide open, I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment