Recent_Comments

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Another Day

Woah. I went out for errands in the heart of the day. In the midst of the normal Saturday traffic (flea market, shoppers, residents, vacationers), there was a 190 mile relay race going on, from Miami to Key West. I forgot about that, but wish I remembered. As soon as I rounded the 1st bend on the highway, there was already a rest/aid station set up. There were decorated cars scattered about the whole way for my errands on the highway, and of course, the runners. I didn't pay too much mind til I was on my way back and able to see their faces. Many looked exhausted. But, the relay legs aren't really bad, I understand typically they're 3 to 9 miles, depending what you sign up for. I think what it translates to is moreover how many relay legs a runner has to do. This particular relay I think goes on through the overnight. Good luck with that.

Anyway, I went out for my errands in the midst of all this stuff going on. Driving down US1, a small gecko popped up from behind my windshield wiper. He startled me, the poor little guy. Hanging on for dear life as I made my way through traffic. He tried to climb up the windshield, bad idea. He was smart enough to realize "bad idea" and flattened himself out really low and wide. Funny to watch. I thought about trying to make it to my first stop with him, but he seemed pretty rambunctious, so I pulled over from the highway, and shooshed him off my windshield into the scrub. I felt a little bad, perhaps he was now separated from his friends & family, but at least he wasn't going to blow off my car into traffic. By the way, this little guy didn't have an accent at all, and didn't have a cell phone or wallet on him like the one on TV. He was pretty cute though.

So, with all the extra people out, I was able to accomplish my errands with some delay. I took time to notice how very blue the sky was, and let the sun bask on my skin as I walked around, I'd say it was about 76 degrees. There's a lot of pelicans down here right now, I think they abandoned ship from up north, and like to winter in the Keys. Wise birds.

When I got home, I made a snack, changed into running clothes, and went outside for a run. The street was literally bustling with people walking, biking and driving. Its the time of year when we're all typically at our busiest, who wouldn't want to be in the Keys in January. I see there's more snow in the northeast, some perhaps heading for as far south as Tennessee, and then its possible the mid-Atlantic or northeast may get some more on Tuesday. All this as we fortunate souls down here simply bask in some of the best weather we'll have all year. I absolutely love this warm dry air. Very little wind. Calm waters. Great for kayaking or snorkeling. All the animals seem to be happy with our warm dry days, which cool at night. The Key deer are so funny to watch, their habits, their sweet moments, their cranky times too. Everyone and everything is into the high season groove. I just better remember to check the schedule before I venture out for my next batch of errands.


1 comment: