Recent_Comments

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Universe Likes Kale Too

So, we meet again here on the blog. Its a beautiful day here on Big Pine Key; been chilly for 2 days, yet today begins the big warm up. Down here we've been told we will hit the 70 degree mark, and by end of week we'll be firmly in the mid-70s. I do hope I haven't jinxed the forecast by saying that out loud.

There is a lot going on down here this time of year, people-wise. The week between Christmas and New Year's is one of the busiest for the roadways. I plan my trips out with more forethought than usual, I like to get where I'm going and be done with it. I've been spending a lot more time in the kitchen, even though the massive onslaught of holiday baking is over. I'm still in the mood to re-work interesting sounding recipes, and see "what can I do with this ingredient that I haven't done before." To that end.... Santa stuffed an ice cream maker down my chimney. How thoughtful say I. First thing I do is hit the internet, and begin looking up recipes. Of course I wanted to make chocolate or banana as my first attempts. However, Mr. Happy Vegan says "I don't like banana" and something about chocolate being boring (gasp!) What flavor does HE want? Vanilla. Talk about boring. But, I've got a couple pounds of organic fairly traded whole vanilla beans sitting in my pantry, so vanilla will be placed on the list.

What does all this rambling have to do with my thoughts on "what can I do with this ingredient" that I haven't done before. Well, I tell you what. I came across a recipe for mint chocolate chip ice cream, with kale. KALE. I've never met a leaf of kale I didn't like, so I decided this recipe is for me. But.... no organic kale was forthcoming from our local market. What to do? Simple. Ask the Universe, and ye shall receive.

Last night, Mr. Happy Vegan went a few doors up the street to say hello to neighbors. When he returned, he brought in a giant shopping bag of organic fruits and veggies from the neighbors. They went to pick up their share from the local CSA, and surprise, there was extra. So, they scooped up a few items, and shared them with us. Guess what was in the bag.... USA grown, organic kale. See what I mean?

So, I'm going to make mint chocolate chip ice cream with specks of kale. I like chocolate, I like mint and I like kale. Mr. Happy Vegan is a fan of mint, and doesn't totally dislike kale, so this recipe is a good one for both of us. He may say chocolate is boring, but he will indulge occasionally.

I've got to stash the ice cream maker in the freezer for a while before I can make the ice cream. I have no idea how will this work out, but my pantry is stocked with mint extract, chocolate chips and now organic kale.

Let's see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment