Recent_Comments

Friday, December 3, 2010

No Soup For You

Yesterday I noted how chilly it had gotten down here, waking up to temps in the low 60s. On my "to do" list I added "make soup" as another chore. It didn't work out, and here's my story of why.

I couldn't get warm yesterday, no way, no how. Temps did get into the low 70s (barely), but it wasn't enough to warm me up. Being Tuesday, it was on the "to do" list to take Pop to his club in Marathon to run his twice weekly golf game. On the way back from Marathon, crossing the 7 Mile Bridge in a high speed swath of traffic, something caught my eye. I had just enough time to process "bird, dead bird." As I'm zooming on my way, it clicks in my mind... that bird's eyes were open; she was possibly still alive.

I couldn't turn around, I couldn't stop. If you haven't been on the 7 Mile Bridge, know this: you do not stop on that bridge unless it is an emergency, and you never, never, NEVER turn around on that bridge. It is one lane each way, with an elevation that does rise in the middle for I presume sailboats with large masts, and only has a narrow shoulder. All over 7 miles of open water.

Upon making it to the other side of the bridge, I pulled over, turned around and went right back over the bridge looking for her. By the time I found her, traffic was again plugged behind and in front of me.... and approaching 70mph. I couldn't stop. Audible curses spewed forth. Finishing the trek across the bridge, I whipped around and turned back. Again. This time nothing was going to stop me. I had noted on my last pass that this bird WAS alive, she was trying to move. Dozens of cars were passing her. Certain death loomed.

I was on a mission. By the time I thought I was close to her location, I began to slow down. No one behind me liked that; I put my hazards on and made my best attempt to pull into the shoulder & let as many pass as possible. I came upon the panic stricken bird, she was trying very hard to fly, but couldn't. I thought "broken wing" which even upon rescue is almost certain death. I stopped behind her on the 7 Mile Bridge. May I remind anyone reading this: I am scared of bridges. I'm not kidding about that either. I am really scared of bridges. Which is amazing considering how many bridges I drive over, and how often I do this. I felt the vibrations of the traffic, as well as actual movement of the bridge from the heavy winds. Honestly, my stomach rolled.

I was in Pop's car which meant I did not have any of my rescue stuff with me (a carrier, large towel or 2 and some other useful items are usually stashed in my own car). All I had was the clothes on my back, and good intentions. I dashed through traffic and ripped off my sweatshirt (hooray for remembering to put a tank top on in the early hours of yesterday...) It briefly crossed my mind that I probably looked odd doing what I was doing, yet all cars zipped by, none slowing or offering assistance. I only had seconds to do what I hoped, capture her. I could see she had blood on her beak (car hit?) with one wing dragging. I flung my shirt over her and scooped her up as fast as I could, running back to my car. Other cars still whizzed by in each direction. As soon as I got in the car, I put her on my lap. I did my best to insure her wings were not bent back, and that her head was well covered. Calm, keep calm I said aloud to both of us. Traffic was still heavy, no breaks forthcoming. I plowed back into traffic without hitting anyone or anyone hitting me.

I was heading back across the bridge, so I called Wild Bird Rescue on Big Pine (Maya, remember her?) Answering machine, damn! Left a message, but now this bird is beginning to get fussy. I made a decision to turn around and go back again over the bridge, to the Wild Bird Rescue in Marathon. By the time I called them and gave my E.T.A., Maya had indeed left a message on my voicemail. They were out rescuing pelicans in the ocean, but I could drop the bird in a cage at her site, and a volunteer would be over as soon as possible. I was committed at this point to going to Marathon, I couldn't go back and forth over that bridge again.

I got stuck in construction traffic in Marathon (more audible cursing) and this poor bird, well all I could think was asking aloud for the Universe to keep her calm, and let her heal to fly free again. I made it to the Center. Immediately I learned this bird was called a royal tern. She did not have a broken wing (huge relief), but probably had been hit by a car, hence the disorientation and blood on her beak. She was placed in a quiet spot, and appropriate care was forthcoming.

On my way back from the Center, I got another call from Maya, asking if I could stop at a location where an injured pelican had just been reported. I said of course, and began to think I no longer want to work. I want to volunteer full time and help animals. It would be sad work, but I thought the rewards could carry me through. I stopped at the site of the report, and walked along the shoreline, and then through brush, for about 20 minutes looking for the pelican, really wishing I had on my wader boots. Unfortunately I could not find him. I called Maya to report this, and left the message that perhaps another had already retrieved him, or perhaps he had been able to fly away.

It is not possible at this time in my life to quit working and be a full time volunteer. I will have to accept that I can do only what I can do. I'm going to put together a couple of items to keep in Pop's car for animal emergencies. Its actually amazing that with all the trips he and I have made to Marathon that we haven't had a situation like that sooner. Especially considering that I have made emergency stops in the area before, but they just happened to be while I was in my vehicle or with Mr. Happy Vegan. Thankfully and miraculously.

I don't know how things will turn out for that royal tern. When I got to the bird hospital, I was told "usually I call the police and ask for them to stop traffic when I do a rescue." That was good advice, and some I will not soon forget.

I put aside my anger and frustration that so many other cars had passed this bird and none stopped to help. The first rule of an emergency responder is to assess the situation and do not place yourself at risk, or make a bad situation even worse. Maybe that's why no one else stopped. I don't know though, sitting here right now I am sure I did the right thing. It was a risk I had to take. I am hopeful the tern will heal and fly free again.

The whole ordeal was close to 3 hours because of the drive time back home. If it wasn't so cold yesterday, I never would've put on a sweatshirt, and I don't think I could've helped that tern. So, maybe this cold weather is really important for other reasons too. For now I'm just going wash and re-wear my sweatshirt, then make some tea if I'm still cold. I'll be quiet about the cooler weather. Besides, it will be 80s again next week so I'm told.

No time for soup yesterday, nor today. I've got to revamp our emergency kits, and make one for Pop's car too. Soup can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment