Recent_Comments

Thursday, December 30, 2010

It's a Small World

Walt Disney was really on to something when he tapped 2 brothers and asked them to write lyrics to his tune "Its a Small World." They came up with:

There is just one moon and one golden sun
And a smile means friendship to everyone
Though the mountains divide and the oceans are wide
Its a small, small world.

Yup, it is.

I like to read other people's blogs. Sometimes I simply do "google" searches just looking for nothing in particular, choosing some of my favorite keywords (often "vegan" or "eco") and just see what I come up with. Although I don't sign up for blogs, I have some favorites I do know by heart, and will key in their address daily to read what's up in their neck of the woods.

I'm bringing this up because during a monster workout on the street today (made possible by temps up over 70, thank you Universe) I began thinking about how small this world truly is. I have this little button on my administration page called "stats." When I click on it, I can see countries where people have read my blog. Don't panic, there's no personal info revealed, it just gives me a count of how many people from which country have checked in with "Living the Dream @ Deer Run." I really like my "stats" button. Its told me that I have connected with people in Russia, Thailand, Croatia, Slovenia, and India just to mention a few of the more exotic places that have checked in. We get lots of hits from France, Germany, Canada, and United States (of course). I truly find this absolutely amazing, and so exciting.

I blogged a tiny bit about my "bucket list" of things, mentioning that I've accomplished one of them, my moonrise kayak tour. But, see I absolutely MUST go to Thailand before its too late for me, as well as India. These places are calling to me "please come see us, please come see us" and now I learn that there's people over there reading my blog. I'm drawn more to Thailand, I think because of beaches and food. I have wanted to visit for years, and actually 2010 was my target year for a trip there. It didn't work out, but I'm not giving up, I will get there eventually.

So, really I think I just wanted to say "thank you" to those who care enough to read my blog. My mind is filled with so many things, most days its that I have too many topics to choose from that its not always easy. But, today was pretty easy. It actually came to me as I was running and observing all the different license plates that passed me. People are here from all over the world, and that led me to my "stats" button, and here I am saying hello Thailand, hello Russia, hello India, HELLO WORLD!

I wonder what is life like for everyone checking my blog. There's one of me, but more of you out there. Is it cold? Can you see ocean, rivers, lakes, ponds or any other water feature? Do you have animals trotting through your yard? Are you wearing a jacket or a swimsuit today? Shoveling snow or surfing monster waves on the North Shore? Are you cooking soup to warm your insides, or cutting fruit to cool you down? I guess its just rhetorical questions really, but I do wonder these questions for real, as the whole world goes on, and I'm here on a 2x4 mile tropical island covered with tiny deer, surfing the net for other blogs, recipes, news and so forth.

Today I cooked, baked, cleaned, experimented with a new recipe, worked out twice, checked some blogs, and collected trash to mention just a few things. I hope you can look at your accomplishments for the day and be sure you've done something positive for the the planet. We must all take care of it; what I do (or don't do) on Big Pine Key will eventually somehow have that ripple effect on the other side of the world. When that ripple makes it to you, I want it to be good, not bad. Because, you see, and we should never forget, its a small world after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment