Recent_Comments

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Cold Feet

Just prior to relocating from the cold zone, I purged my entire winter wardrobe. I had a nice collection of attire, and couldn't wait to donate it to organizations that would make sure somehow it got to people who needed it.

I recently realized my entire shoe collection consists of flip flops, sandals, and island living shoes. Plus, 1 pair of stiletto fashion boots (running shoes don't count)! In the midst of planning a brief visit to the cold zone, I began to panic. Cold feet = unhappy vegan. What's a girl to do? Especially one who at this point despises buying almost anything new, worse yet anything that will be worn for a matter of hours and then likely never again. Well, I'll tell you what this eco-friendly earth momma does, she hits the consignment shops in the area. Unbelievably so, at my first stop right here on Big Pine Key, I scored a never worn pair of adorable, fuzzy, vegan, warm surfer girl boots at the consignment room located within Out of the Blue Gallery. I could not believe my good fortune, and still am pretty much scratching my head on that stroke of luck.

I refuse to buy a coat, and will simply muddle through with a not very warm cape I scored at a vintage shop while I visited another island a couple years ago. I have a non-wool hat that I bought at a local craft show last year knitted by a little old lady who I swear I wished was my grandma, and I have a teeny tiny pair of hot pink gloves that somehow made their way into my sock box. I don't remember buying them, but I sure am glad they're in there.

So, that's pretty much what I've got going for the cold zone. Most likely I will look like a "fish out of water" while I'm up there. Fashion sense may fly out the window down here when the weather turns, but up north its much ado about fashion when the weather turns. My theory on that is this (and I'm allowed to say this because I lived the majority of my life in the cold zone).... that there's not much else going for cold zone wintertime except fashion. So, gals like me cling to the likes of velvet, sparkles and fancy-smanch attire over the cold zone winter. But, I've got a problem, I'm traveling in the teeniest carry on known to humankind, and not only do I have to pack my clothing for this pending trip, but I've got holiday gifts stuffed in there too. At this point in my life, after all the traveling I've done, I do believe I could go away for probably 3 weeks with nothing more than a large handbag, and an 20 inch carry on. Even I'm impressed, considering I used to travel with something akin to a steamer trunk when I'd go away for just a weekend.

No doubt I will be horrified by the weather (I heard it didn't crack 30 today where some of my friends still live), and I may get some stares with my fuzzy Florida Keys after surf (but warm) boots and hot pink gloves. But, I'm a Keys girl now, and when it gets cold, fashion sense no longer applies to me. On the up side, most rental cars up there have heated seats, so I expect I'll make good use of that option.

I'm ready for the trip when it will eventually arrive, but for now, I'm going to soak in what I can of the Keys warmth. Its still too chilly down here for me to be overly excited about the weather, but when I look at the weather map anywhere north of Key Largo, I get the shivers.

I'm hoping for a winter solstice miracle in the form of a heat wave. Nothing hoped for, nothing gained.

No comments:

Post a Comment