Recent_Comments

Friday, December 31, 2010

Bye Bye 2010

New Year's Eve. Another year down the tubes so to speak. What have I, or any of us, got to show for it?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've had a year of ups and downs. I think my lowest moments came during the BP oil spill, admittedly there were times when I was filled with despair and dread. For us in the Keys, we were spared environmentally. Most of us down here often think of our Gulf neighbors, and many have mobilized to donate time, money or resources to those in need in the impact zone.

On the up side of things, I have to say that being tapped as a speaker for TEDx was a pretty big highlight. Although the original date in Naples was rescheduled, we're on track for next summer. There's a lot of anxiety for me associated with that, I have seen many of the speakers and am in awe of them.

Between the highs and lows, there is regular living. Every day things. We said goodbye to loved ones who've left us too soon, and hello to some new neighbors who we look forward to getting to know. I explore something new every day, be it a recipe, something on the beach, something in the garden, or meeting a new person. I work for this Earth to be a better place each evening than it was when I woke up that same morning. I wish I could do more; I wish I could reach more people; I wish I could have more impact and bring the message about the importance of being vegan and living with awareness, mindfulness and compassion to help heal the world and all on it. It doesn't work that way, but I press on anyway.

In the year 2011, my friend Pop will turn 102. I will still be vegan, so will Mr. Happy Vegan. I will keep running and working out as long as my body will let me, and I will appreciate the organic, cruelty free food choices I have, and offer to our guests. In the year 2011, I will somehow find a way to keep sight that we are all connected, and somehow our lives all have meaning in their own way. Moving into 2011, Deer Run is working on some very big plans for the New Year, and we're looking forward to being able to share big news in the coming months if all works out as planned. In the year 2011 I will meet more people from all over the world, and will encounter highs and lows in the coming months. Through it all, we'll work at Deer Run to keep this space a healing place where diversity is welcome, food is kind, and peace is in the air. I hope the New Year brings abundant health, happiness and peace to all of you, and more than anything I wish for compassion and kindness to all sentient beings in the New Year. Consider all beings when making your own life choices, and do the best you can every day.

Happy New Year everyone. See you next year! Now let's get our party on!

No comments:

Post a Comment