Recent_Comments

Friday, December 17, 2010

As Festive As It Gets!

For the first time in years, I voluntarily put on Christmas music, and it wasn't even tropical. I popped the Vince Guaraldi Peanuts Christmas CD into the player as Mr. Happy Vegan popped the cork on a good bottle of Chianti. As the music played, I actually began to decorate for the season.

The time between Thanksgiving and New Year's is typically an arduous time for me. There was a lot of hardship and injustice that my family and I suffered around this time of year, and memories linger. I don't know what happened to me today; perhaps I can blame it on the sunshine and temps in the mid-70s, but I really wanted to decorate for the season.

I rummaged in my pantry and came out with a few pounds of dried split peas and red kidney beans, then moved outside. I began plucking red & green sea grape leaves off the trees. Back into the house, tucked back into a closet, I pulled out some red glass votive holders from years past, and a few gold glitter candles. Next, I opened a few bags of fresh cranberries, and pulled some fresh limes from the fridge. I then began filling vases with all of these wonderful items.

As I placed the vases around the breakfast area and my living room, Mr. Happy Vegan was outside hanging wreathes made for us by a man named Mark the weaver. I like Mark, he is a nice guy. He lives locally, and weaves things out of palm fronds. Now, saying he weaves things out of palm fronds is really an understatement, as Mark's work is beautiful art. Mark made us several beautiful wreathes, with sprigs of holly berries on the sides which also grow local. I think Mark could weave anything you ever would ask him to. He weaves custom hats, baskets, wreathes, ornaments, animals, and so forth. When he delivered my wreathes, he presented me with a beautiful basket as a gift which he wove. Right now that basket is filled with citrus fruit sitting on my table, its gorgeous. I have several of Mark's baskets, I love them all. The palms of course start off green, but with time they will dry to a very mellow vanilla color. I would love to have posted a picture of one of the wreathes, but one of the happy vegans here who again shall remain nameless (but is not me...) didn't get around to taking a picture during daylight hours. Perhaps tomorrow I'll have better luck on that request.

So, wreaths are hung, vases are filled, and I've been making pomander balls for days. Holiday biscotti have been flying out of my oven by the dozens for the health food store (most recent selection was chocolate with dried cranberries and vegan white chocolate chips, hellyeah!) Mr. Happy Vegan got the eco-friendly solar lights on the mangrove in the ocean, and put up LED lights on our old Festivus palm. He placed it at the end of our driveway where guests can see it upon arrival. Even our manatee mailbox is tricked out with a wreath by Mark the weaver.

I'm drinking my wine, pouring over cookie recipes, and planning a little shopping tomorrow at the Out of the Blue gallery on Big Pine Key which will be hosting an art show. I don't think I could ask for anything else right now, I feel absolutely as festive as it gets. What an amazing, uplifting, and wonderful feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment