Recent_Comments

Thursday, November 11, 2010

World Championship Powerboat Racing is in Town!

For the last several days, we've been treated to the spectacular sights of world class superboats being hauled down the Keys on their way to Key West. Yes, its that time of year... World Championship Superboat Races. As I write this post, I hear the roar of multiple boats off in the not so distant distance.

The first time I came to the Keys was partly for the Offshore Powerboat Races. Yes, we stayed at Deer Run, but yes, we headed down to Key West several times over that week for parties and races. Mr. Happy Vegan, like most any man, loves toys. He's been a boater for most of his life. His was the first offshore race boat I was ever on. Its a thrill to be on board one of those vessels. The roar of the motors is close to deafening, the rumbling shakes your soul. No matter where I am, the sound of powerboat motors firing up gives me goosebumps to this day. When you're at full throttle its an experience unlike no other. First time I was on a powerboat, I had no idea what to expect, but ended up falling in love with the experience. I also lost a scrunchy that day as it was pulled from my hair in no uncertain terms simply from speed.

The first time I was in Key West for the races, Mr. Happy Vegan had friends who were racing. On race day, we were invited into a party tent, and into the wet pits. Honestly I really don't know that much about engines, nor am I that interested. But I love looking at the powerboats for the art form that I feel they are. I love the sight of gleaming chrome, the sparkling clean motors which shine with the pride of the crew. I love the elaborate paint jobs and the enthusiasm of the drivers, throttle men, crew and mechanics. Being invited into the wet pits was something I did not take for granted. Most of Mr. Happy Vegan's friends are no longer racing, and we don't get into the pits typically. It does not diminish the experience for me. I love the sound of the powerboats, and I love the smell of the fuel. I know, I know, here I am living the "green" life, yet having such a guilty pleasure locked within me! I swear, I cannot help myself. Try as I may, I cannot help the way I feel. My binoculars are never far this time of year. I hear the roar of powerboats offshore, and I rush to the ocean to see what type of boat is it. Kinda like Pavlov's dog in a bizarre way... can't let one boat go by without me rushing to see. The powerboat races also attract tourists with their own powerboats, which is another reason why I see so many powerboats off my beach this time of year (ha! I just had to interrupt my posting because I heard race boats going by, seriously! I wonder what do you call a group of powerboaters? A gaggle? A herd? A clutch? Well, 7 of them just went by as I scanned the horizon through my binoculars, yippee!!)

As mentioned, Mr. Happy Vegan has a powerboat. Don't worry, its the most eco-friendly thing here. Since we moved here, it has never touched the water. I refer to it mostly as a "museum artifact" in jest, and now we've both begun calling it the "time capsule" as he recently unwrapped it and discovered all sorts of delights contained within from our northerly boating days. I wondered where some of my most favorite cds disappeared to. They've recently become uncovered during that archaeological dig.

When I first came to the Keys for the races, the top speeds were probably around 95-100mph. These days, they're pushing 150mph at times. What an absolute thrill that must be!

There's qualifying heats all week long, a street parade where they show off all through town on trailers to "oohs & ahhs" (unless of course you're someone simply trying to get home from work... sorry about that!), Poker Runs, and parties. I like powerboats, powerboaters, and the fun times that go with them. Powerboaters tend to be generous people who love to have fun. I think its also a nice activity that whole families can enjoy as spectators. In the Keys, we depend on events like this for our tourist based economy. Sure, its work for many people, but sometimes, for people like me, I can sit back and just be a tourist too. We're planning our whole day on Sunday around the powerboat finals, and I couldn't be happier. Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment