Recent_Comments

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I'm no fool, its 80 degrees here!

Woah, someone stop the world, I want to get off. Tomorrow is December 1st! How did that happen?! Wasn't just yesterday August?!

Its not really a problem, per se, but I lose track of time. Between the nature of the business being 7 days a week for long stretches, and a very different type of change of seasons here, time often stands still. In reviewing the weather in various parts of the country today, I noted ice storms, blizzards, massive rains with flooding, and bitter cold. Here? 82 today. I'll say it again.... 82 degrees here in the lower Keys. Yippee yippee yay yay, this happy vegan chick ain't nobody's fool (bad grammar intentional for added effect you English teachers out there).

I went for a run this morning, ever so slightly abbreviated as I had a very long list of things to do, including a road trip. It mattered not that I was out there extremely early, it was hot, humid and I was precariously close to overheating with this intense condensed workout. It felt great, kind of like an August "bikram" run, absolutely covered in sweat as I boldly sang my psychedelic funk songs out loud (no Bieber on MY iPod!)

Afterwards, we headed north for a road trip to complete some overdue errands. I don't get off the rock much (anyone reading this... I hope you know that means "out of the Keys"), and the ride home reminded me why I like to stay put as much as I do. The trip started out pretty good, a few pit stops up the Keys, a great lunch at Spanish Gardens Cafe in Islamorada (as mentioned in an earlier post, the not-on-the-menu vegetarian sandwich a la Jose' is just the absolute best), and headed onto the mainland. Honestly, it really wasn't that bad up there this time. Traffic was relatively light, and people were surprisingly good natured. The way home, not so much. By the time we got half way home, we found ourselves behind several morons who just "don't get" that on this chain of islands, risking a head on collision in a no passing zone just isn't worth the 1 minute you will gain. Those morons cannot comprehend that if they survive the white knuckle illegal passing, they will invariably end up sitting in front of that same passed car at the next red light. Stupidity at its prime. It was no fun driving home, by the time we hit the 7 mile bridge, all I could think was "so close, so close... we can make it!" We did, thankfully.

But, I got off track with that last paragraph. See, it was on the 7 mile bridge at about 6pm when I looked at the climate gauge on my car... it said 81 degrees. 81! After 6pm! Hellyeah, take that Mr. Cold Miser! And PS to Mr. Cold Miser.... hellyeah that today was the official last day of the 2010 hurricane season, ka-pow, gone!

Tomorrow is December 1st, yet today I stared at a temperature that makes me giddy. I'm very psyched about my workout again tomorrow morning, and actually the whole day. I plan on getting up extra early and heading out for a run; tomorrow is again supposed to push past 80. Happy December. As my friend Pop always says when talking about cold weather "yeah, well, you can keep it for yourself, HA HA HA!" How much more wise could a man ever be!?

No comments:

Post a Comment