Recent_Comments

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Eco-Week - Sleep Is Not An Option

Insomnia. I have it. I won't say I "suffer" from it, because I'm so used to it, I don't consider it suffering. I sleep with the TV on all night long (so not eco-friendly...) but its the only thing that guarantees at least a few hours of respite off and on. Within seconds of the TV being shut off, I'm full on awake. This week, insomnia is working to my advantage. Our booth at Expo Key West will feature lots of different foods, art, displays, and more... all things that take time to plan & prepare. This is all happening on top of the fact that we're running a 7 day a week business and I'm still clinging to a work out schedule through this over-filled week. For fun, toss in the reality that other things pop up from time to time.... people stopping in for a visit, errands out on the town, etc. Yet, here I am this evening with dozens and dozens of cookies cooling on racks, more dozens and dozens in the oven, a giant rain barrel sitting in the center of my living room (I kid you not) waiting for me to paint decorations on it (we're donating this rain barrel to the Florida Keys Green Living Energy & Education group's silent auction at the Expo), and I haven't even begun my prep for tomorrow morning's breakfast.

I don't mind. I really do not mind. I feel great right now. I came back from boot camp over an hour ago, had a quick bite to eat, and went right back to work in the kitchen. I feel energized and actually even vibrant. Maybe I should say manic? I'm not sure. All I do know is that I'm not worried about my insomnia tonight. Today its perceived as a gift given that will work to my advantage. I've been known to be in the kitchen at 3am clearing out my refrigerator, or re-organizing my cabinets. Why not? It seems to make more sense to use the time that way than flip through 800 channels trying to avoid info-mercials. I'm just saying.

Where's Mr. Happy Vegan in all this? Well, he's right there doing his part. Today he had a meeting for the Florida Keys Scenic Highways & By-ways Association, went to pick up the banner we ordered for this event (designed specifically for Deer Run, yet generic enough to be used for any future event, re-using in mind to be eco-friendly), picked up the rest of the organic produce for the event, and well, you get the drift. He's been working like a fiend with preparations as well. He's totally into this event, and we're completely feeding off each other's energy right now. It's pretty cool.

So, there you have it. This is what its like for us right now running this business, preparing for a big event, and trying to hold onto some semblance of normal life in between it all.

I'm so looking forward to the Expo. I want to see all the other vendors, I want to taste all the other food, I want to talk to people who have new ideas and innovations for a more eco-friendly way of life, and I want to be outside in the fresh air at the beautiful Botanical Gardens where this event is being held.

Sleep can wait. It eludes me anyway, no use crying over spilled soy milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment