Recent_Comments

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Happy Birthday Diamond Dave!

Today is David Lee Roth's 56th birthday. Better known as "Diamond Dave" to fans like me.

Perhaps you tuned in today to read something about Key deer, a new cupcake recipe, or me waxing poetic about the weather. If so, move on now, because I'm dedicating today's post to Diamond Dave.

It's hard to believe Dave turns 56 today, mostly because it means I'm older than I can believe too. The music of Van Halen is a huge part of the soundtrack that accompanies my life. I scratch my head in disbelief when I realize I first heard this music over 30 years ago. When I think back to their very first album (yes, ALBUM) release, I was a young teenager just entering high school. This music is in my mind for so many of my "snapshot memories." I remember this music blasting out of my big brother's 1964 vintage Mustang as he drove through the parking lot after band practice (he was cool, band was geeky, yet he transcended the geekiness of band... I did not, I was definitely not cool). I close my eyes and see my brother driving through the parking lot in his marching band uniform, blasting Van Halen, with a giant tuba stashed in the back seat, and of course some girl in the front seat. I looked up to my brother immensely and never minded that often times I, the geeky little sister, was not the passenger in the cool Mustang with the Van Halen playing.

The music of Van Halen did, and still does, pound its way through my life... graduations, parties, boyfriends, parties, friend's weddings, parties, road trips, parties, down the shore, parties, tragic sadness, parties, lost weekends, parties, holidays, parties, my entire life, and parties. Did I mention parties? Frontman David Lee Roth is one of the most beautiful people ever to front a rock band, and I still have a giant poster of him framed and protected from the elements which perhaps I should be buried with. The poster, a gift from a friend who probably felt she outgrew her Dave obsession... knowing I never would.

Even my companion animals are not immune to this great music. I have songs for all my pets, and my departed beloved Summer Blue had her own too. Of course it was "Everybody Wants Some" but for her it was "Sum," short for Summer. She loved Van Halen, and would come running whenever I sang those words to her. Smart kitty.

I've got Van Halen music, Dave's music, posters, books, clothing and memories. One of the best rock bands ever, one of the best frontmen ever. That will never change for me. To this day, I've pretty much always got Dave or VH loaded in my cd player. No one worth their salt could be unhappy after listening to "Where Have All the Good Times Gone" or "Ice Cream Man" blaring full tilt. Dave, your Crazy from the Heat EP is still tops on my "desert island disc" list right next to Van Halen, Van Halen II, Diver Down, Women And Children First." Yup, I am a fan.

"Happy Trails To You
Until We Meet Again
Happy Trails To You
Keep Smiling' Until Then..."

"Who Cares About the Clouds When We're Together
Just Sing a Song and Think 'bout Sunny Weather"

Thank you for the music Diamond David Lee Roth. Happy trails and happy birthday. Many happy returns!

No comments:

Post a Comment