Recent_Comments

Friday, August 6, 2010

It figures

A couple of weeks ago I was running and felt a sharp jab in a muscle,which almost took me down instantly. I couldn't believe it... wasn't doing anything different or unusual, there really was no reason for the pull, it was just not there 1 second, and there the next. I was about 2 miles into a run when it happened. I tried to press on, the goal that day was a full 5, but it was all I could do to get back home limping. I rested a couple days and on the third day did almost 12 miles on the bike instead of running. The first 5 were pretty good, but then the pain slowly began to build. I made it through, but paid the price with pain for a few more days. It was during this time period that I broke down and got an iPod. Never thought I'd have one. I've resisted it (you know that) for many reasons. I enjoy the running (as much as I can enjoy slogging through with a heat index often pushing 100) in silence, watching the birds, and hearing an occasional "sploish sploish" in the Bight next to the road when fish are jumping. I see so many things. But, this injury frustrated me, I felt like I was slipping on my progress. I needed something to kick it up a notch so to speak. Enter the iPod.

I finally felt well enough to do 3 miles this past week. I had my iPod with me, and I ran. I turned in one of my best times in years, incredible! I was so happy. I planned on 3 miles, but went for 4.25 and shaved so much time of my regular run I was astounded. Pain? Some, however, I transcended it through the music and never felt I was at risk for re-injury. I shut the iPod off for about 1/2 mile just to re-visit the silence. I saw a white crowned pigeon too.

So, what's my point today? Well, the it figures comes in here. My plan was 5 miles today. I went outside this morning to pick up a few thing scattered on the beach, and as I was tossing them in a trash can on my deck, I slipped. I caught myself before hitting the deck (literally) but not before twisting in some bizarre way so that my same muscle pulled so badly I couldn't walk for a moment. I stood there frozen in place. I tried to take a step and electricity shot through part of my leg, into the low back. After a few moments I was able to hobble up the steps, and collapse into the bed where I stayed for almost 1 hour. I cannot believe this, but I cannot run. I cannot bike. I cannot do anything of relatively high intensity, its too painful. Even walking is an issue. Who would've thunk it?

If I wanted to be a couch potato, no problem, I'd probably be just fine. The original injury occurred while running (supposed to benefit my body, not harm it), and keeps flaring up either while running, biking, or even in a training session (yes, that happened too while attempting a lateral jump over a weight bench being coached by my trainer). I'm so frustrated by this.

So, what will I do today? I am going to find solace in my kitchen and attempt to veganize 2 more recipes. Its a gorgeous sunny day outside. My iPod is loaded with favorite songs to carry me to my under 10 minute mile, and my sneakers are sitting here taunting me. I suppose the iPod can be used in the kitchen as well as on the asphalt. Although, I have to say, it figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment