Recent_Comments

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Baby Turtle Tracks!

Time flies when you're having fun! Like it or not, we're into August. Personally, I LOVE IT! August is my favorite month, at least it was when I lived in the cold zone. August is the heart of the summer. It was always the first week of August I took vacation, without fail. Living here, maybe its not so much my favorite month anymore, but only because the weather is splendid year round. I no longer will dwell on the fact there's only "x" days left until September, which is my least favorite month (or very close to it).

Anyway, here we are in August. So much happened in July, it became a blur. My posts don't come as frequent as I'd like sometimes as often I'm waiting on a photo. Such is the case with today's post. I was waiting on a photo. Look and see, this is a picture of MY NEST! Yes, the nest I discovered and wrote about on my June 7th entry hatched this week past. 98 hatchlings burst out. I was torn on which picture to post, the one showing the excavation, or the one showing the turtle tracks. Turtle tracks won out! Look at all those teeny tiny marks, each one is a hatchling flipper print! My friend Gerri, who is a Save a Turtle volunteer, and I, excavated the nest together the evening of the morning they were discovered hatched. No stragglers were stuck in the nest this time, they all made it out on their own. 98 more babies off to sea.

The very same morning this hatch was discovered, there was yet another loggerhead nest on our beach. On this newest nest, the mommy did 4 false crawls that night before she found the perfect spot for her to nest. That's a lot of land time for a sea turtle. She really was determined.



On our little stretch of beach, we've been blessed with 8 nests and 2 hatches so far this year. We're still in full swing, so keep your fingers crossed for more. I know I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment