Recent_Comments

Friday, July 16, 2010

Optimism

This picture was taken last year. It shows a loggerhead hatchling in my gloved hand. She was discovered "stuck" in one of the nests we excavated the evening after the nest hatched. I removed that baby sea turtle from her entrapment and held her for a fleeting moment in time before setting her free in her rightful ocean home. What a privilege that was. What a gift from the universe. I think this picture explains very well why we turtle volunteers do what we do. For me, moments like this one shown here have changed the course of my life forever. I think it also is a good picture to explain why so many have been grieving so hard over the disaster in the Gulf.

Today is different, just a little different. It's with caution that I allow myself some optimism today about the oil disaster. It has been over 24 hours since the vents on the cap were shut, and the spew has halted. For now. Like so many others, I have been watching all the news channels, scouring the internet and getting reports from some "in the know" about this cap. As I write this, experts aren't quite sure about the pressure, its too early to tell if the well itself has been compromised in some way from the initial explosion, and subsequent high volume spew. However, as I type right now, there is no oil spewing. None. I want to exhale, but won't completely. Not yet. However, for me, there really is something about this latest effort that, for the first time in close to 90 days gives me some confidence this will work.

With my guarded optimism over the cap, I allow myself a true moment of joy with the news today that 22 Kemp's Ridley sea turtle hatchlings incubated at the Kennedy Space Center have hatched and been released. The hatchlings were among the very first nests (if not THE first nest) where the eggs were removed by biologists, and taken to the Space Center. If the nests along the Gulf are not moved, the hatchlings face certain death upon entering the Gulf. The projection is between 75,000 - 85,000 eggs are going to be dug up, moved, incubated, hopefully hatch and then released on the Atlantic side, far away from the oil. There is video of the release on the NASA website. Its worth watching. You will see 22 hatchlings being sent "home" to their sea.

I have watched the video of the Kennedy Space Center release several times since I stumbled upon it on the internet. I imagine what it must feel like for all the people who were involved in this project in any way. There must be feelings of relief, pride, joy, hope and restored vigor. In the end though, I know anyone involved in any way at all can't stop too long and savor this victory, there's much more work to be done.

The turtle as a totem represents many things, including patience, endurance, strength and stability. Those involved working to save the turtles in the Gulf simply need to look at the victims they're helping to find the same traits they need themselves to carry on. Carry on they shall... 74,978-84,978 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment