Recent_Comments

Saturday, June 26, 2010

"x" marks the bucket list

A bucket list. Many people have one. I have one, but didn't know to call it a bucket list until a movie came out called... you guessed it: "The Bucket List."

Last night I had the opportunity to cross something off my bucket list. I went for a sunset/moon rise kayak tour. I'm not sure why something as simple as a kayak ride actually made it onto my list especially when I have such a fear of water, but there it sat. Its been on "the list" almost since I moved here.

There's a person by the name of Capt. Bill Keogh who owns & operates Big Pine Kayak Adventures (http://www.keyskayaktours.com/) on the other side of the island. I've met Bill a few times. Bill wrote a book (Paddling the Florida Keys, which is truly THE go to guide for down here), and must love animals, as he has a dog (that means he's already "approved" in my book!) Capt. Bill donates his time towards charity for an event he runs almost every month, conditions permitting. The proceeds are for a charity called Friends & Volunteers of the Refuge (Key Deer Refuge). The event is a sunset/full moon rise kayak tour. Bill has managed to combine some of my favorite things: sunset, full moon, moon rise, charity fundraising, and Key deer. Toss in a kayak trip, and poof, another addition to my bucket list.

Unfortunately since moving here, its never been in the cards for me to take that tour. Often I'm working, exhausted, or more likely the tour is full. Here at Deer Run, we also make sure any guests who want to be on that tour get a spot, of course, before we do, so that's another reason things never worked out before for me.

The universe was shining on my list last night. We had time time for the tour. I was actually awake and alert past 7pm. There was space for us, and the weather was good.

Off we headed to the other side of Big Pine for our tour. I thought I had everything I needed, but a hair tie would've been a good thing last night. It was quite breezy. All things considered, since that was the only thing I forgot, AND I didn't fall out of the kayak, I file this under "success."

Upon arrival, we were promptly greeted by Scupper the dog. What a sweetie pie, she's one of the most mellow pups I've ever met. She really seems to love her life, and a good life it is. Once we launched our kayak, I re-acquainted myself as best as I could with actually how to use that paddle. Off we went. There was about 30 of us last night, along with Scupper and Bill. Some boats stuck by closer than others, but as more time passed, I felt confident breaking from the group from time to time.

I suppose every full moon tour is different. Weather and tides are variable. The wind was blowing strong, we couldn't get too far out around 1 particular bend without a big fight. When its me vs. Mother Nature, I don't like to compete. Instead, we paddled around near mangroves and were treated to a show of multiple white crowned pigeons (yes, several pairs!), tri color heron, egrets, and many other shore birds. I saw lots of fish in the water too. No turtles. I was really hoping for a turtle. The grass beds were pristine, the water was crystal clear. We saw lots of horseshoe crabs, a spider crab, sponges, and so much more. The water was very warm. I confess I let my toes dangle overboard quite a bit as we sat, letting the wind push us here and there.

I think Capt. Bill must really love his job. At one point, when he was watching the boats paddle to and fro, he said he loves the way the paddles catch the light when they're up. I think that's the difference between someone who loves what they do, and someone who isn't quite as satisfied... marveling at the little things. Like how a high stick paddle catches the sun or moonlight on the bay.

The sun was setting fast. We were all searching for the moon. I was growing impatient, I wanted to see the moon rise. Almost like magic it appeared in the sky above the mangroves. The clouds parted a few times to light the water. Everything shimmered.

Scupper, Bill, and lots of others were out last night for Jen's bucket list full moon paddle. At times there was no sound around except for the "sploosh, sploosh" of our paddles slicing through the water. Other times the air was full of giggles and laughs. Heck, at one point, I even got an Italian serenade from my paddling partner. He's a good egg, that's why I keep him around, you know?

I faced down my fear of water enough to get out and have an experience I've wanted for a long time, plus it was for a really good charitable cause. It was pretty cool to have a dog named Scupper out there in the mix too. Animals really help keep things in perspective for me, even when it comes to something on my bucket list. Thanks Bill. Thanks Scupper. Thanks especially once again to the Universe. You never fail us.

No comments:

Post a Comment