Recent_Comments

Sunday, June 20, 2010

#1

Today's entry has nothing to do with Deer Run. Yet, without the person who today's entry is about, I never would be where I am today. Today's entry is about another hero of mine. I have more than 1 hero, but there can only be one "# 1." Really, by definition, "the best" means one who tops all others. This is about my #1 hero.

My #1 hero was a humble man. English was not his first language, but you'd never know it. He was born to immigrants and grew up without much money or creature comfort. But, he was born into a family with parents who loved him and provided the foundation and root values of loyalty, respect and humility.

My #1 hero was a military man. He barely spoke of this, but was proud of his service; proud to be a US Army veteran. One of the best photos I have of my #1 hero is of him, dressed in uniform, smiling. Handsome. Proud.

My #1 hero was a brilliant man. He became an engineer, and a long time "company man." He provided that company with part of his soul, he was that loyal to it. In return, he received a steady paycheck, some very good friends, good benefits, and means to raise a family.

My #1 hero was a family man. He loved his wife and family more than anything. He had 4 children who loved and admired him. He provided guidance, and was a role model. He didn't give advice too often, instead preferring his children carve their own paths, while hoping he had instilled strong enough values within them to carry them through what life would throw their way. There would be some terribly difficult curve balls thrown the way of my #1 hero and family. My #1 hero taught me "above all, family. Family first."

My #1 hero loved the color red. Red cars especially. My #1 hero always used to say "if it goes fast, it should be red." My #1 hero loved dogs, coffee, Italian food, staying up late, sleeping late, cigarettes, British humor, the Shore, fast cars, opera, chocolate, lemon ice, hazelnuts & pistachios, ice cream, motorcycles, flying, family and friends.

My #1 hero taught me how to drive a stick shift and to parallel park. He taught me to never leave the house without money for a phone call and a soda ("just in case"), how to properly spackle and paint a wall, how to check the oil in my car, the air pressure in the tires, and even tried to teach me how to change a tire (that one didn't quite work out as well). My #1 hero taught me how to ride a bike, the multiplication tables, and the importance of having not many friends, but good friends.

My #1 hero taught me how to enjoy good food (not necessarily "fancy" food, but "good" food, you know there's a big difference, right?), how an ice cold beer goes so perfectly with a pizza, and the importance of the first day of summer.

My #1 hero, despite the fact that he was not a big risk taker himself, taught me that it's very important to have dreams, and sometimes follow them to far away places.

In return, my #1 hero received a vast collection of "#1" cards, doo-dads, gizmos, more ties than any man should ever own, silly t-shirts and hand crafted gifts. He received hugs, kisses, parties, laughter and tears. My #1 hero lived a life in which he constantly deflected praise put upon him, preferring attention going to others.

My #1 was worthy of, and received, unwavering family love and loyalty, which was the #1 thing my #1 hero taught me matters above all. My #1 hero received an abundance of love.

Today, Sunday June 20, I remember my #1 hero. My dad. The most influential person ever in my life, and someone who walked this earth as a most extraordinary man. Someone who will always be my #1 hero. Happy Father's Day Dad. Thank you for being my #1 hero and teaching me what matters.

Tomorrow is the first day of summer. I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment