Recent_Comments

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Blue Angels 2

Several days have gone by since we attended the Key West Air Spectacular. Its what I want to write about. I cannot seem to find proper words to do justice.

We went to the show. Once on base, we saw there were quite a few planes on display. WW II fighters, rescue helicopters, many military planes, just lots of cool stuff and cool pilots. We staked our territory with beach chairs and sunblock, then went to explore. What can I say, I was drawn to the Blue Angel fighter planes lined up on the tarmac behind a fence. Gleaming in the sun; beautiful blue and gold. I approached the fencing and got goose bumps. These planes represent so much. I would be lying if I said I wasn't overcome with emotion and patriotic pride.

I began taking photographs, then walked the grounds. I'm enjoying the exhibits and conversation with other pilots. Then, I saw him.... my first Blue Angel pilot! He's out among the crowd chatting, laughing and signing autographs. Wow! I'm practically running to get on line. As my turn to meet the pilot creeps closer, I'm growing more nervous. Now its my turn, and I'm struck dumb. I thank the Lieutenant for his service and dedication. I tell him how much I'm looking forward to the show. He signs my program, and I notice his shoes. They are so high polished, there is a reflection off them. A comment is made about the shoes, he laughs and says that's how he spends his day off.

I've just met a rock star.

I go back to my staked off territory. I'm clutching my program as if my life depends on it. The show is going on all around us, all day long. There are many stunt pilots. Even simply watching is not for the faint of heart. I'm still staring at my first Blue Angel's autograph, studying my program, memorizing names, and counting the hours to the main event.

Its so very hot. We're on the air field. Its concrete. There is no shade. Several hours have passed since we arrived. The crowd is now very large. Its approaching time for the Angels to take to the air.

We see navy personnel begin working near the fighter planes. Excitement is mounting, the Angels are scheduled to fly at 3:30. Finally, a row of vans comes out, its them, the pilots. The crowd goes nuts. We've been watching the other events all day, just baking in the sun. You cannot blame us if we start acting a little crazy.

Cut to the chase. They fire up. Its loud. I've got chills. I've waited decades for this. Rock music is blaring from the large speakers through the base (kudos to whoever made the selections... Van Halen and AC/DC... its an "80's" girls dream!) The pilots salute the navy personnel on the ground. They salute each other. They taxi to take off. Then, they're in the air. They are like rockets. They sound like rockets. They fly straight up like rockets. They fly so high, we lose sight of them against the sun within seconds. They dive down, and do a "fly by" past the crowd at about 450 mph. Its official, we have all now collectively lost our minds. Cameras clicking away. It doesn't matter though, they fly so fast, about 10,000 shots of blue sky were taken at the same instant.

These 6 planes fly as if there is 1 pilot only. Sometimes they are flying 18 inches apart, at close to 500 mph. They fly approaching one another at closing speeds of 1000 mph. I stand there, mouth gaping for 1 hour and 15 minutes as they climb, dive, roll, tumble, and turn putting on a show which is better than anything I could dream.

Its so much to take in. My sense of reason (and hearing) are being put to the test. Useful tip: when they give you those ear plugs, use them.

Among the many gifts a Blue Angels show provides is the gift of unification. The whole time those pilots were in the air, all of us shared pride for our military and country, as well as simple childlike wonder. I struggle to describe this event. I understand why the Blue Angels are such an important recruiting tool. There's no way you walk away from that display thinking that being a Blue Angel is anything except just about THE coolest job in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment